Took a minor detour from AWS yesterday to help get the new paratroop units in-game. It plays out as a fairly simple change, instead of having one type of paratroop available in the Para brigades, we’re creating a paratroop version of all the regular units. The biggest change is that we’re making use of some work I did in 1.27 that allows us to expand the spawn parser so that we can put different types of unit at the same spawn location – e.g. trucks and atgs at depots. So they should be in the next beta :)
Technically, I’m supposed to be implementing this based on a new spawn-definition system Martini added, but I don’t currently have an XML parser in the host and both the client and the host still need the changes to the old spawn system so I decided to defer that coding for a later time and – for now – leave both client/host using some extra data definitions in the old system.
I’ve got to readjust my schedule to try and get AWS into beta sooner rather than later. The bulk of the work I need to do this cycle is codenamed “Theseus” which involves going from the client maintaining 2 connections at a time to 3. This extra connection shuts down a whole army of complications and will let me – over the next few cycles – rebalance a lot of bandwidth, host-cpu and systems, as well as eliminating a lot of sleeping dogs.
Once its done, the first visible evidence will be the mission origin/target changes we’ve talked about for 1.28, we won’t have fully dynamic missions just yet but you should atleast be able to keep your mission upto date with the map situation.