Dang it…

So the last 3 days feel like a waste because I’ve had two trivial tasks to complete which have been stonewalled by a bevvy of obstacles from the minor (a wrong URL) to the frustrating (the map-crash bug which I had to fix because it was happening to me consistently and preventing me from testing my trivial stuff).

I sorted that this morning and steamed thru a bunch of other minutae this afternoon, synced the client and host codebase up (panicked moment where I thought Gophur had gone ahead and built 1.29.0.3 before I’d checked in the host stuff which would mean I wouldn’t get to test what I really need to test until next week). I checked a bunch of the localization stuff I needed to test, which proved to have some ordering issues, I got those out of the way and …

I still forgot to test my “fix” for the FPS window showing ridiculous 4-figure packet loss percentages.

BAH.

Cat’s day at the vet

 My cat is strange. She has a seasonal allergy that has flared up towards the end of July each year, this being the 4th year. This is baby sitting on the edge of the vet’s table, purring loudly, moments after having given an injection while the vet goes to get medication…

The little mutex that wouldn’t…

Every now and again, you run into a piece of code that does the impossible… It always comes down to finding the “misunderstanding” between you and the compiler (or interpreter) on some particular of an instruction. You might have said “halt and catch fire” and the computer might interpret “catch fire” as “stop it from hitting the ground” instead of “combust”.

A little but if Mutex-wrapped code I’ve inherited is insisting on crashing as two threads simultaneously try to work inside a Mutex. Which is impossible: Mutex is short for ‘Mutual Exclusion‘.

This is not for the feint hearted (a symptom of feint heartedness can be programming in Java :-P)