Ordinarily, at this point, I would be sharing my github repos so you can see the code I’m tinkering with. Two things are stopping me.
The last time I shared the code for AMUL, it was with someone I was discussing a possible port to Linux with back in ’94. That someone said “Can’t help you” and I got distracted with my job at Demon Internet. A few years later I found that a lot of concepts from AMUL had surfaced in another MUD language across the 6 months immediately after sharing the source, and that the individual I’d shared it with happened to be the author of said language…
More importantly, my snapshot is not of the last release. I don’t know why that bothers me (re sharing), except that I’m hoping I’ll find a more recent version that has the huge swath of cool stuff I introduced between the version I have code for and the AMUL900 that’s still out there. I think it’s knowing that I have probably lost the files at some point, or they are buried so deep in my nested collection of archives that I’m not finding them :)
Meanwhile, I’m still really super-enjoying working in pure C on this project. I wouldn’t necessarily choose it for a follow-up project, but I’m spending radically less time on boiler plate.
I spent a part of today formalizing bits of stuff I had in external folders – so now there’s a Dockerfile for an ubuntu and an alpine build environment.
One advantage of doing this in C, at least first, is that it’s proving a lot easier to static analyze and bug hunt.