xcode

And so it came to pass…

It Happenethed

I really didn’t think this would happen so quickly. When you’ve been fitting spits and spots of systems together over 6 years towards a goal, you build up an overly active awareness of how much is involved. You’re overly inclined to fill in variables. I knew┬áthat the host was easy enough to build, and I’d scripted the mac build for Gophur, so I knew that wasn’t hairy. Recently I’d come to know that now the client and host source is all in one repository I can match source revisions. But, when I tried to put it all together, along with scripting it under Windows … Pop. I think my head just exploded, is that my amygdala on your lapel?

The key to it all was VSoft’s FinalBuilder. There are many build tools, but FinalBuilder is a basically a graphical scripting language / scripting language assembly tool the likes of which you expect from old Amiga tool sets or the Mac. These geniuses of it is delivering the power an old scripting hack like me only images getting from Perl/Python/Ruby/JavaScript/Rexx in a graphical interface.

Precompiled headers

Our project just takes too long to compile. It’s only a few hundred thousand lines of code, but it compiles like there are millions.

I’ve spent most of last night and today reorganizing header files and project files and turning our primary include file set into a single, precompilable header.

Visual Studio, dramatic effect: just over 2 minutes 27 seconds off the time to build the entire project while also adding our network API to the build! Xcode seems about the same or slower (I’ll benchmark that next week) and I got tired of wrestling with autoconf/automake under Linux for the host.